Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Motherboards

The problem with fancy ass motherboards is it requires you to buy fancy ass everything else. Say you just want DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2. Well then you need a whole new motherboard bro. Which can also require a new CPU and video card. But all this faster tech can require more power so NOW you need a new PSU. Sometimes its either all or nothing. Thats how it was for me.

Photobucket

Now that new graphics cards are out, they are all PCIE 3.0. Thaat really sucks for people like me who built their pc just before PCIE 3.0 motherboards came out. Now when i want one, I'll need a whole new motherboard ontop of a new GPU. That motherboard may also require a different socket CPU. This is what I mean by all or nothing. Upgrading is hard sometimes >:(

7 comments:

  1. Actually this is not always true my friend. In a lot of cases the PCIE2 and 3 video cards are backwards compatible. I ran my PCI-E 2.0 video card on my PCI-E 1.0 motherboard for like 3 months before i fully retro'd my pc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. BUT you are running it at 1.0 speeds when it could be at 2.0 speeds so whats the point? its wasted money and capability

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, helped me get a better understanding of Motherboards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stopping by to see how your blogs doing bro. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't understand anything you talked in this post :)

    ReplyDelete